Sunday, May 25, 2014

Soup Kitchen Craze

Early on in the day I set out to make this salad that I love.  It's called "Hail To The Kale" from Planet Organic (recipe is below).  It usually takes about 30 minutes for a normal person. 
For me however, it turned into an epic all-day cookathon, whereby I made a huge pot of vegetable soup, a massive amount of tomato based pasta sauce, and an abundantly large pot of mushroom soup, all in addition to the salad.  I started around 11am, and finally just wrapped up at just after 8pm! 
It was definitely over-kill on my part.  I think I got a little carried away.  I guess that's what happens when you only set out to cook once every couple months! 

Now, the big problem is... we don't have enough tupperware to store it all! 

I guess you know what I'll be doing tomorrow... going out and stocking up on new freezable containers to store all this soup and sauce in! 

Anyone want some? 



HAIL TO THE KALE SALAD
prep time:
30 min
total time:
30 min

Ingredients

  • 1 bunch Kale, chopped
  • 3 cups Carrots, grated
  • 1/2 head Red cabbage, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup Tamari pumpkin seeds (see method below)
  • 1/2 cup Tamari sunflower seeds (see method below)
  • 1/2 cup Flax or hemp oil
  • 1/3 cup Bragg Liquid Aminos (or organic soy sauce)
  • 5 tbsp Balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tsp Oregano, dried

directions

  • 1 - Wash kale and chop. Be careful to rinse the leaves to remove dirt and grit.
  • 2 - In a cast iron skillet over medium to high heat, stir sunflower and pumpkin seeds. Remove from heat when they’re toasted golden brown. While the skillet is hot, add in a few drops of tamari, which will sear onto the seeds. Remove and let cool.
  • 3 - In a large bowl combine chopped kale, carrots, cabbage and seeds. Set aside.
  • 4 - In a small bowl whisk together oil, Bragg Liquid Aminos, vinegar and oregano and pour over kale mixture. Toss until evenly coated and chill 2 hours before serving. This salad keeps well refrigerated 2-3 days.
  • Makes 8-10 Servings

No comments: